Newport Beach is without a doubt one of California’s coolest destinations. Located just 45 minutes from Los Angeles, the town was recently voted among the United States’ top ten resorts.
While it boasts a gorgeous resorts (Marriott’s Newport Coast) and classy shops, you don’t need to be a celeb to have fun here. There are plenty of low cost attractions from whale-watching to getting a close-up view of hummingbirds.
1. Breakfast at Wilma’s Patio on Balboa Island is a yummy way to start your day. Discover this family-run place nestled among cute boutiques and galleries. The diner was founded in 1975 after Maurice and Wilma Staudinger went out to search for new carpets for their house – and bought the cafe instead. Grab a coffee and enjoy home-made pancakes and waffles, corn bread and honey, and the Balboa Belly Bomber – a warm French roll stuffed with egg.
2. While the rich and famous may take over most of the beachfront property, you can find three miles of sand and rock pools under high cliffs that are free of homes and hotels called Crystal Cove. As a state park, nearby Crystal Cove is safe from the builders. Little has changed here since a colony of artists painted the shoreline 100 years ago. Make sure to catch a bite to eat at the beach side Buccaneer Cafe. Also, if you look over the cliffs you may spot migrating whales.
3. Shop your heart out, while enjoying the gorgeous beach air. Fashion Island is a premier open air shopping center that looks out onto the Pacific Ocean. Who doesn’t love to shop with a view? With a mixture of specialty boutiques and world-class department stores, there’s something for everyone!
4. Orange County Museum of Art is perfect for those who love a little taste of art while on vacation. OCMA displays work from modern artist paintings to installations.
5. The Newport pier will set the scene for a picture perfect evening while grabbing a drink at 21Oceanfront during their happy hour!